Maria's Big Trip.
We had to figure out the answers to these questions:
1) How many gallons of gas and what fraction of a full talk of gas did Maria use on the turnpike driving from her house to Lance's house?
2) What fraction of the full tank of gas did she use on the turnpike driving from her house to Lance's to Alicia's house?
3) How much time will she spend driving on the turnpike when she drives back home to Philadelphia
What information was given already?
1) There are mileage markers that stretch across the state like a giant number line. (Starting from zero on the west and increasing to the right.)
2) Maria gets 33 miles per gallon.
3) Maria's house is at mile marker 352
4) Lance's house is at mile marker 242
5) Maria's to Lance's took 1 hour and 40 minutes. (or 100 minutes)
6) Alicia's house is at mile marker 55
Answer to Question One.
First we figured out how much miles between Maria's and Lance's house was. We did that by subtracting the mile markers. 352 - 242 = 110 Miles. So between them was 110 miles. On the gas gauge, 110 miles is between 3 gallons and 4 gallons of gas, so the gas is 3 and something. Each gallon was 33 miles, so in between 3 gallons and 4 gallons is 33 miles, so 110 miles is 3 ?/33
Since 3 gallons is 99 miles, we subtracted 110 by 99 and got 11. So its 3 11/33 and you can change that into 3 1/3 of a tank of gas from Maria's to Lance's.
Answer to Question Two. (messed up on the paper thought 287 was 297 -.-)
First we figured out the miles from Maria's to Alicia's. Since we already figured out that from Maria's to Lance's was 110 miles, we just had to figure out Lance's to Alicia's. So we subtracted Lance's mile marker by Alicia's. 242 - 55 = 187 Miles. So it was 187 miles from Lance's to Alicia's. We added both up (187 + 110 = 287 miles) and in total from Maria's to Alicia's it was 287 miles. On the gas gauge it said that it was between 8 gallons (269 miles) and 9 gallons (297 miles) So we subtracted the total miles with 8 gallons (287 - 269 = 18) so its 8 18/33 gallons in total.
Answer to Question Three.
To do this we used a Ratio Table. We used the information from Maria's to Lance's. (110 miles / 100 minutes) Then we subtracted how far from Lance's to Alicia's with Maria's to Lance's. (187 - 110 = 77 miles. Since it was divisible by 11 we divided 110 miles by 10 and the minutes to get 11 miles. (110 miles / 10 = 11 miles) (100 minutes / 10 = 10 minutes) So now we have 11 miles and 10 minutes. Now we just multiplied by 7. (11 x 7 = 77 miles) (10 x 7 = 70 minutes) Then we added the 110 miles with it to get 187 miles. (110 + 77 = 187 miles) (100 + 70 = 170 minutes) So that that was from Lance's to Alicia's now we just add Maria's to Lance's (187 + 110 = 297 miles) (170 + 100 = 270 minutes) So the whole thing took Maria 270 minutes or 4 hours and 30 minutes.